Merlinite and Laguna Agate Glow like a Brilliant Montana Sunset (ORA-006)
Miriam blended Montana Moss and Laguna Agate, Dendritic Merlinite, and accents of Bronze to design and handcraft this dazzling 23-inch necklace that sparkles equally in the sunlight, during sunset, or by candlelight. From pale to deep amber and red, black to translucent creamy white, to perfectly clear, each one of the stones Miriam used is an exquisite example of Nature’s unique creations. Be sure to look at the amazing close-up photos!
- Full length of the necklace is 23 inches, including the handmade bronze clasp.
- The teardrop-shaped Montana Moss Agates measure 5/8 to 1 inch in length, and are approximately 0.5 inches in width at the widest portions of the stones.
- Marquise-shaped Laguna Agates measure 1.5 to 1 inch in length.
- Dendritic Merlinite nuggets vary in shape and size from 0.25 to 5/8 inches in length.
- The clasp and spacer beads are hand wrought Old World Bronze (TM).
- Tiny round beads are hand-rolled African Brass.
- Crimps and crimp covers are bronze coated metal.
- The necklace is strung on a flexible antique metallic bronze-colored 49-strand stainless steel wire that is nylon coated.
MONTANA MOSS AGATE is a beautiful clear to translucent chalcedony (agate) found in the alluvial (fan-like) gravels of the Yellowstone River – remnants of the flowing lava that traveled over the riverbeds. This distinctive and decorative stone is also called “scenic agate” because of its graceful dendritic (tiny tree and fern or moss-like) patterns. The lush amber-to-red colorations are iron oxide and the black is manganese oxide. If you were to look at these intricate patterns under a high-power microscope, you would see the tracings of little canals - which eons ago carried the water containing one or more of these metals deep into the stones. Over the years, as the water dried out, the canals closed so tightly that the naked eye could not see them. The beautiful patterns you do see come from those tiny canals as they branched out. LAGUNA AGATE is found in a remote mountain range of Chihuahua, Mexico. It is one of the most banded agates in the world, known for its tight banding and bright colors. The bands may be clear or white or any other color. Striking color combinations along with subtle color shifts in the banding are common. The amber-red stones Miriam chose blend well with the Montana Moss Agate. DENDRITIC (MOSS) MERLINITE is a chalcedony (agate) with both opaque and translucent areas, and some stones show a glowing pearl-like chatoyancy. Although some may call this stone an “opal” because of the glow, it is not! While beautiful in its own right, Merlinite does not have the iridescent color play of real opals. Not all the Merlinites Miriam chose show the opal-like chatoyancy, but all have distinctive and interesting dendritic patterns. The Bronze beads Miriam selected add a distinctive artistic expression to this unique, one-of-kind necklace. As it ages, bronze develops a beautiful patina that enhances the individual character of each piece. Miriam used Old World Bronze™beads that are handcrafted using an old-world wax method, and an exclusive bronze recipe developed by the Charveaux family of metalsmiths in Scottsdale, Arizona.