Brown Snowflake Obsidian Jasper (EAR-032)
The soothing soft smokey browns and grays, and beautiful Aztec-like designs on the Sterling Silver beads on this unusual necklace, are probably not the descriptions the Aztecs used when wearing Obsidian jewelry, or using their Macuahuitle, or Aztec War Club—a fearsome weapon consisting of several Obsidian blades on a wooden handle.These natural Brown Snowflake Obsidian stones have been in Miriam’s Private Collection since around 2008, when she started to collect them. Geologists call these stones Tectonic (Volcanic) Jasper, more commonly known as Obsidian Jasper. Obsidian stones are naturally strong and highly polished. The gray and creamywhite snowflakes are called Phenocrysts, large sphere-like particles of needle-shaped Cristobalite(a type of quartz), which resemble snowflakes. Because of its hardness, Obsidian is believed to have been used during the Stone Age to form weapons. The name comes from the Obsius, a Roman who is credited with discovering a similar stone in Ethiopia.
- Full length of the necklace, including the clasp is 23.5 inches.
- Brown Snowflake Obsidian rectangular nuggets are 13x20mm.
- The Obsidian Rondelles are 8mm.
- Obsidian Barrels are approximately 10x12mm.
- The larger carved antiqued Sterling Silver Bead is 8x20mm.
- The four antiqued Sterling Silver Bead are 9x15mm.
- The ornamental clasp is also antiqued Sterling Silver.
- Matching Bracelet and Earrings are available by Custom Order, and only with purchase of the necklace.The necklace may also be shortened or lengthened by Custom Order.